Saturday, September 8, 2012

Why Yoga?



I am just your average mother, struggling to find a balance with the ever-waging battle of work and home life. Just a few months ago, I was experiencing uneasiness about the career choices I had made and felt like I was in dire need of a change in direction. I needed to find a job that I not only loved, but that allowed me to put my family first. It was during this crisis when I discovered my true calling in life. I wanted to teach yoga. I couldn't think of a better "job" than to be able to share my passion and the beauty of yoga with others, while still being able to be home with my family. So, similar to how I act with many major life decisions, I acted on an impulse, and enrolled at Bodhi Yoga to pursue a career as a yogi. 

Yoga has been a part of my life for the last 6 years. I started practicing when I was going through, what I thought at the time, the greatest trial of my life. Yoga was my therapy, my peace, and my home. Through this trial I developed a deep love and appreciation for yoga. After the trial passed, yoga had become a part of me. I practiced often, and it wasn’t until recently that I realized how much yoga had prepared me for where I am in life now.

Remember that little part about the greatest trial of my life? Well just so you know, I was wrong about that.  One month ago my father passed away unexpectedly from an aortic aneurism. Since then, I have felt more sadness than I will ever be able to put into words. I have experienced overwhelming loneliness beyond that of description. The reason I am sharing this with you is not to receive your sympathy, but to let you know that with yoga, I will be able to get through this. I will be able to heal. The last physical gift my father gave to me was this opportunity to teach yoga.  After realizing this, this experience transformed from just merely an opportunity to teach something I enjoy and love, to finding a way to honor my father, to give it my all, to make him proud.

I know that this certification and where I am in my life now is no coincidence. I know that this is where I am supposed to be. After the sweat, blood, and most certainly tears, I will not only be certified to teach yoga, but I will be able to draw closer to my Dad through the process.

Namaste

http://www.gobodhiyoga.com

2 comments:

  1. Nikki, Garth and I will totally take your class after you're certified, I'm interested in it mostly for relaxation, and we both think it would be great for him as a sort of physical therapy. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah you both totally should! Yoga is so good for anyone but it can be especially helpful to those suffering from physical ailments. i know Garth has been through a lot over the last few months and it makes me so sad to hear how he is always in a lot of pain still after that accident. I plan on teaching a variety of different classes, including a restorative class that would be good for both of you!

    ReplyDelete