Sunday, October 13, 2013

Letting Your Body Move You



In my opinion, one of the most crucial aspects of yoga is to listen to your body. Let your body be the teacher.  The instructor is merely a facilitator, one who gives instruction, but ultimately it is you to you to decide what you and your body need during each practice. One of my favorite classes that I ever attended was one in which the instructor spent a few minutes teaching us a basic vinyasa routine and then allowed us to branch out on our own. She told us to use the routine that she taught us but to add whatever we felt we needed at the time. We were able to go at our own pace, adding asanas as they seemed appropriate. It allowed us to really explore ourselves, and find what was right for us. At the end of this class I remember feeling more in tune with myself and my body than I had during a long time. This particular practice was able to really serve me as an individual. As I reflected back on this class I wrote down a few things that made it different and came up with a few suggestions as to how you can learn to listen to your body can really make your practice your own.



First, I suggest that you start your practice off with meditation. Often in yoga, we traditionally end with savasana and or a meditative session. However, I suggest starting your practice off this way as well. This way you are really able to focus in on your individual needs that day and quiet your mind in order to get the most out of your practice.

Second, I suggest using your breath as a tool and with purpose. As you start each practice, use your ujjayi breath to sense any tense or tight areas in your body. Send your breath directly to those areas and take a mental note as to what poses might be beneficial to help alleviate any tension.

Third, go with the flow. Once you get going on your practice, let your body be the guide. If something feels right, do it; and if it doesn’t, don’t. I like to remind myself that my body is the teacher and I am merely the student. When I go into my practice with this mindset I often feel as if I find a deeper appreciation for my body.

My last piece of advice is to honor yourself.  Honor your body, its capabilities, and all that it does for you. Focus on gratitude and respect to yourself and as a result you will find that your practice will be transformed into something greater than merely a workout.

-Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment