Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Yoga Community




I have been practicing yoga for nearly 10 years now and have been to countless yoga classes during this time. I’ve been privileged enough to be taught by many different instructors, and to experience yoga from many different approaches. But while teacher, style, and environment can vary, I have found one underlying commonality to each class that I have attended and that is the sense of community that it creates.  Yoga brings people together. Regardless of age, ethnicity, or background, in the classroom we are all the same. We have all taken on the role of “student” and have come to learn from our practice. What also amazes me is the sense of friendship and love that you feel for others around you during yoga. Not only are we more connected to ourselves during our practice, but also I personally feel that we become more connected with others around us. We become more aware of their feelings, their needs, and are more conscious of our similarities rather than our differences.  Yoga practice creates a sense of community and peace that is difficult to find elsewhere. Just this week I attended a new class and afterwards each person introduced themselves and I felt like I had made new friends, even though we had only spoken one or two words to each other. It is especially fun to see the friendships that are formed in my prenatal yoga class. All the women enjoy meeting and seeing each other progress in their pregnancy and some of them even keeping in touch long after the birth of their babies.


 So if any of you are looking for a place to “belong” or to form a few new friendships, come join the yoga community!

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment