Monday, September 23, 2013

A Personal Post: Learning to Experience Rather Than Merely Recite


As I was progressing in this journey of becoming a yoga instructor, I started to notice that my personal practice was getting neglected. I was used to practicing yoga daily, including a much-needed meditation at the end of each practice. This practice kept me balanced and started my day of right. However, the more classes I started to teach the more I felt slightly “burnt out” and started to replace my personal practice with my classes. I soon realized what a destructive mistake this was.  I didn’t have that collectiveness that I used to have and my days seemed more stressful. But to me, I was the only one that was suffering from my lack of personal practice, or so I thought…

I have learned that as a teacher, keeping a regular personal practice on the side is vital not only for yourself, but for your students.  In the end, your success as a teacher comes down to your personal practice. It starts on your own mat.

Once I realized this, I started to feel like a failure as a teacher. How could I preach to others the importance of personal practice, when I myself wasn’t doing so?  It wasn’t until I started to be more diligent about stepping on to my own mat that my opportunities as a teacher skyrocketed. I was able to experiment with different asanas that I could use later in my classes. I was learning to experience both the physical and emotional reactions that many of my students were experiencing.  I transformed from merely reciting a routine, to living the practice with my students.

One of my most rewarding classes was when I started to mold my classes around my students. One individual came to me with questions about a sore lower back. That night I came home and experimented with poses to help ease her pain and strengthen the muscles at hand. The next class I was able to teach a vinyasa series that was tailored to her needs.  I was able to give her what she needed through experimenting first on my own mat.

Needless to say, once learned this “secret” to teaching yoga, my classes were transformed. It helped me to have a new vision and appreciation for yoga and for my students.  It also helped me to have more compassion for my students as I was experiencing it with them rather than merely instructing them. Finally, I feel as if it has helped me to establish my own unique style of teaching. To me this is one of the most valuable gifts I could have received during this process. It has planted a seed of confidence in myself; confidence that I hope can keep me going in this journey, long after my certification is complete.



-Namaste


No comments:

Post a Comment