Monday, September 9, 2013

Finding Peace: 5 Steps to a Better Meditation

I've been thinking about the value of meditation a lot lately. Probably because I have two babies under the age of two, am in the process of building a house, am packing up for our move in month, am playing on two softball teams each week, and did I mention teaching yoga? Needless to say, I am very busy, and sadly a little too stressed. It's my meditation that all too often gets me through the week.





It's no longer a big secret that meditation is good for us. In fact science can even show neurological changes in the brain that occur when we meditate. Studies show that the areas that are associated with stress slow down significantly, and the parts of the brain that are associated with feelings like joy, peace, and compassion become more active. There is unquestionably no doubt that meditation triggers positive changes.

I try to incorporate meditation time into each of my classes, however I find that a lot of my students wonder if they are "doing it right." They worry that they might fall asleep or perhaps that they might be too alert. Some may experience visual sensation while others don't. They hear of others experiences and wonder if they are doing something wrong. It was these questions that let me to write this post.

In this post, I am going to give you five "tricks" to a better meditation. Try them out, see what works for you, and be on your way to more peace and less stress.


1. The first tip is to find a quiet place. Meditation doesn't come easily for everybody, but noise and distractions can make even the most seasoned meditator feel frustrated. Find a place where you know there will be no distractions or interruptions before beginning your practice. And yes, this means turn off that cell phone!



2. Establish a simple protocol that you can come back to again and again. It really doesn't matter what it is, and you will get a lot of different advice on what works best; but the truth is, everybody is different and things may work better for some and not for others. I recommend something simple such as focusing on your breath or rehearsing a mantra. I personally like to close my eyes and gently shift my gaze from right to left. Finding a "trigger" that you can start your practice with, and come back to throughout your practice if you feel yourself getting distracted can be a huge help during your meditation.

3. Find a sensory trigger. For me, I have specific essential oils that immediately help me to go deeper into my practice. Find something that stimulates one of your senses such as music, light, essential oils or candles, or even eye bags or head wrapping (see tip below). Practice it each time you meditate until you associate that trigger with your meditation practice. 



(Head wrapping is a practice used by many to help them to relax. To achieve it, take a scarf and wrap it over your eyes around your head. Secure it tightly, yet comfortably in a knot. Its almost like a "hug" for the mind. Then let yourself relax.)

4. Don't think too much, but still allow yourself to think. Sounds contradicting doest it. What I mean by this is simply, don't be too hard on yourself. People focus too much on "quieting the mind" and "not thinking" during meditation. Instead, don't ignore thoughts that come to your mind but rather acknowledge them and move on. Don't dwell on them. I've found that the more I try to force my mind to be still, the less I get out of my meditation practice. 

5. Finally, establish a regular practice. The more you practice your meditation the easier it will come to you. Set time aside each day, even if it's just five minutes, for you to put these tips to use. You will find that with time you will have less stress and more balance in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment